Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Seward, Alaska Rocks

Seward, Alaska Rocks

Tuesday, May 27th, 2014


     Aaaahhhhh Seward. Last weekend my wife and I had an opportunity to visit Seward AND help a charitable cause- that's like getting a bonus round!
     I was there to sponsor the Military YMCA Combat Fishing Tournament. An event where active duty enlisted military personnel are taken out on charter fishing boats- at no cost to them.
As a prior serviceman (go Army!) I enjoyed being around fellow service members. Right off the bat I knew if nothing else, we had that in common. Turns out our skipper was prior service. He was a Coastie. Perfect! So then you'd assume that there was a love of fishing too, but as it turns out, one of our "guys" had never fished before. And ya know what? He was slayin' them. He caught several fish, and even though he had every right to keep them, he used his head, admitting that he lived in the barracks and couldn't use the fish, so he released everything he caught, how cool.
Our plan was that I'd be there by myself for two days until she could join me (she had to work).

     If you have never been to Seward, YOU MUST GO. It is a great town that has a lot to offer.
     A visit to the Sea Life Center is a must. It's always fun to see wildlife, but to learn about the eco system in Alaska is an amazing experience. A boat ride in Resurrection Bay will almost always yield a chance to view Sea Otters, Sea Lions, Dahl's Porpoises, and more. And on my day trip, I did get to.
     We camped out on the Beach in our camper at the Marathon Camp Ground. The view is spectacular, and I have said many times that there is never anything better than sitting on a beach and relaxing. A lot of people would take that to mean a beach in Hawaii. While there is nothing wrong at all with that, sitting on the beach in Seward is probably just as good. The weather was perfect. The view was spectacular.
     Friday afternoon I ventured downtown to find lunch. I selected a local watering hole that had a good crowd and much to my delight, a few of the tourists from the cruise ship parked at the dock bought me not just one drink, but TWO!
     Seward is the kind of place where you kind of expect that when you order seafood, it's gonna be fresh caught. When you visit a local establishment, you will be met with a genuine smile  and it's almost guaranteed that a good time will be had by all.
     After our spectacular weekend was over, my wife and I agreed, Seward may very well be one of our favorite places to visit, and you should too.We have many more adventures planed for this summer, to include Prince William Sound, fishing on the Kenai, and more. Subscribe to my YouTube Channel to enjoy Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment