Sunday, January 19, 2014

What are you waiting for?


Alaska is full of endless opportunities. When I was growing up, my dad used to say people move to Alaska for one of two reasons. To start a new life full of adventure, or to get away from an old one. And I think it holds true. I have met many folks who came to chase a dream, and many who are getting away from a nightmare.

 I personally have left three times and have returned just as many. I have also learned the grass is not necessarily greener. Having traveled far and wide, I often wondered what it would be like to actually live in some of those places, and when I tried it, well, here I am.

Alaska has a robust economy. Perhaps it should be called unique, or maybe excellent, or odd, or challenged. But I have no doubt that there is opportunities abound.

Let's talk about having fun. Like to be outdoors? Alaska offers just as many outdoor recreational activities, if not more, than anywhere else. Snowmachining, mountain climbing, fishing. Ever heard of Ice Bowling? It's a big deal during our annual Fur Rondy event. Photography, flying, skiing, waterskiing, boating, hunting, and on and on and on. 

In the summer we have so much daylight you just never want to stop. And here's no reason to let winter slow you down either. Bicyclists put fat tires on their bikes and wear head lamps. Boaters and jet skiers put them away and get out snowmachines. Fishermen dress a little warmer, and so do the runners.

Year after year, Alaska, and Anchorage in particular, sees more and more indoor events too. From Cirque shows to rock concerts to operas and ballet. Beer tasting festivals (from our many local microbreweries) to home remodeling shows, we have it all.

Maybe I am jaded. I don’t know. What I do know is that there is no reason to not get out and experience life in the 49th state. 

It's your Alaska, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment